The Q&A Archives: Beans And Ultraviolet Light/Science Experiment

Question: We are growing beans, one group under an ultraviolet (black) light 24 hours a day and the other group under ultraviolet for 12 hours and in total dark for 12 hours. So far the groups look about the same--2 weeks along, tall, spindly and 5-8 leaves per plant. What differences should I expect to see? Thanks!

Answer: I'm not exactly sure what results you "should" see. I don't know offhand if plants can use the ultraviolet part of the spectrum. If they can't use that wavelength for photosynthesis, then I suspect the plants in the two treatments will behave similarly, since neither are getting exposed to the light they need. On the other hand, if plants can use ultraviolet light for some degree of photosynthesis, then you might eventually see better growth on the ones getting more light. I guess you'll have to wait and see! In the meantime, you might like to visit the following website: