The Q&A Archives: Growing Tomato's In Winter

Question: I would like to grow tomato's during the winter months in my basement under grow lights. The temperature stays about 70 degrees and I can leave the lights on any amount of time. It seems that all the other plants I bring in during the winter do fine so I am wondering if growing tomatoes in containers would pose and special problems. Also I would like to know if their are any special tomatoes that do better than others under these conditions and what type of tomato do you recommend. I guess I would have to start from seed unless you ship any kinds of plants during November. I only need 2 or 3 plants.

Answer: As with most plants, lighting for about 16 hours a day should be adequate. You might try some of the varieties suggested for container or patio growing, as these tend to tolerate a restricted root zone a bit better. You may want to monitor or experiment a bit with the lighting to make sure you are providing the intensity and full spectrum to facilitate fruiting. Apart from those considerations, it should be well worth a try! Good luck with your tomatoes!