The Q&A Archives: Ideal Tomato Fertilizer

Question: What is the best fertilizer for tomatoes in my region that will produce the best, blemish-free product? Hobert Howard Amelia, OH

Answer: Tomatoes are heavy feeders so I'd start with a shovelful of compost in spring at planting time and then a handful of an organic fertilizer with a 5-5-5 analysis. I'd sidedress the tomatoes again at flowering and then monthly with that same organic fertilizer. If you want you can use a chemical version such as 5-10-10. Organic fertilizers are nice because they break down slowly and release the nutrients over time in the soil. Mulch the plants in mid June with a 4 inch layer of hay or straw and keepthem well watered if Mother Nature doesn't cooperate and you should be able to grow some prize winners this summer.