The Q&A Archives: Grub-like Pest In Compost

Question: I get great compost but I have what looks like "super grubs" all throughout my compost and thus have to "screen" them out. Could these actually be grubs, just bigger because they are getting nourishment from my compost? What am I doing wrong that they are in my beautiful compost?

Answer: You are not necessarily doing anything wrong. A compost pile can be a nice breeding ground. There are numerous types of grubs and they come in various sizes depending on the type of beetle. Sometimes turning compost more often and/or using it as soon as it cools rather than warehousing it in the finished state can help reduce the number of them. Covering the pile with a tarp may also help. Screening them and feeding them to the birds is a good solution,too.