The Q&A Archives: Heat-Tolerant Perennials for Zone 9B (Phoenix, AZ)

Question: I live in a suburb of Phoenix would like to know what zone I am. Can the following can survive the heat

Answer: Your USDA Zone is 9B, which means your average low winter temperature is between 25-30F. Wow! Of the list you gave me, the only two I did not find to be recommended for your area were Shasta Daisy and Dahlia. That's not to say they wouldn't grow in your yard, but they would likely need more care and water than the others. All of these plants will do better if the soil has been improved with compost or other organic matter that will hold moisture better, and if you mulch the soil to reduce evaporation. I recommend the book "Xeriscape Gardening: Water Conservation for the American Landscape" by Connie Ellefson,, (ISBN# 0-02-614125-6) for plant lists and landscaping ideas - see if your library has it, or peruse it at the bookstore. Also, your extension service (ph#602/470-8086) or local garden club can help you choose other plants that are well suited to your toasty climate.