The Q&A Archives: Leaves On African Violets Are Limp

Question: My african violets leaves are limp, when I remove the dead leaves there is water in the stems, I can see it. I water then once a week, no problems now all of a sudden , having problems. Am I watering then to often, do I need to change the soil?? What causes the water in the stems, haven't seen it before.??

Answer: It sounds like the plants are suffering crown rot and this is usually caused by overwatering. You may find, if you have had the plants for a longish time, that the soil has become compacted and is no longer draining as well as it once did. Older plants are also less vigorous and more susceptible to problems in general, so it is a good idea to take cuttings from favorite plants in order to keep a "fresh crop" of youg vigorous plants coming along.