The Q&A Archives: Brown Scaly Bugs On Everything!

Question: I just moved into this house in July and got a late start on my flower/herb beds. When I started I noticed a few "brown spots" on my house, almost 5 months later the brown scales are all over my plants, house, pots...everything. A cotton swab and alchol take off one scale at a time...but I have to rub so hard to get through the hard brown covering that there is no way I can remove them from my plants. Everything is spotted now with these things, especially in the shade. How do I get rid of these bugs?

Answer: A heavy scale infestation can be very difficult to control, but in some cases a dormant oil spray applied according to the label instructions can be very effective. You might also wish to contact your county extension (345-3283)for more specific control recommendations, particularly in view of the wide number of plants affected.