The Q&A Archives: Long-stemmed Flowers

Question: I have a small commercial cutting garden which has become quite popular with locals as well as "summer residents" in our small western Michigan community. Can you suggest some long-stemmed flowers suitable for cutting that I might add to the zinnias, cosmos, snaps and asters that I have been planting?

Answer: Sunflowers are great cut flowers and come in a variety of "happy" faces which seem to draw people to them. Try to choose those that are pollenless, so they don't drip pollen on surfaces. Although seldom long-stemmed, I've found that people love the scent of sweet peas, which make lovely little "nosegays." Stock is another flower that has a spicy scent that is a good cut flower. Lavender and larkspur are two more of my favorites. I hope this gives you some ideas!