The Q&A Archives: Winter Care Of Mandevilla

Question: We have two "manvellas" I am not certain of spelling.
They are vines and have pink trumpet like flowers all summer, and are in hanging baskets. They area at least three years old. We have had them in a storage area, protected and heated in previous years. We would like to store them in an unheated garage, which has a sky light. Will they survive, if they should be exposed to freezing tempertures?

Answer: I believe your are referring to mandevilla, which is a tropical plant. It is not rated to survive your winters without protection. I wouldn't recommend storing it in an unheated garage. If space is a problem you can also bring it indoors for the winter as a houseplant. It should be happy with temperatures between 65F - 70F indoors, bright light but not direct sunlight, ample water spring and summer, little water in the winter, lots of humidity, so mist the leaves every few days.