The Q&A Archives: Identifying a Flowering Vine Houseplant

Question: I have a hanging vine houseplant, but I don't know what it is. There are root suckers and it has dark green oval leaves pointed at one end. The flower clusters come from one stem there are at least 20 small pink stars which open for one or two days and then drop off. My freind's daugther said she had never seen it flower at her mother's house. All I did was give it a shot of Miracle Gro and put it in a sunny window. I couldn't find it under houseplants in my encyclopedia of gardening. I was hoping you could help. Jill Armstrong Listowel, Ontario

Answer: My guess about your houseplant is that it's a Hoya plant. They have waxy, oval leaves and when flowering have clusters of pick, star-shaped flowers. They like bright light and sun and actually won't flower unless they have the right sun conditions. The following company carries Hoyas and many other houseplants. Logees Greenhouses 141 North St. Danielson, CT 06790 860-774-8038