The Q&A Archives: Rieger Begonia Care

Question: I was given a plant for a gift. It's a begonia, and I was looking for how to take care of it. The tag on the plant says RIEGER BEGONIA Begonia hiemalis. How do I take care of this plant? Will it continue to flower?? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Answer: Rieger Begonia grows best in an east window. Copper
colored foliage indicates the plant is receiving too much
light. Allow the soil to dry only slightly between watering
and prevent foliage diseases by keeping water off the
foliage. Ideal temperatures are 65 to 70 degrees during the
day and 60 to 65 degrees at night. In all cases, keep the temperature above 40 degrees. After the plant has flowered for several months, it may stop growing. If this happens, restart it by cutting back to within 3 inches of the crown. Flowering occurs 3 weeks after exposure to short days. Fertilize with a complete liquid fertilizer, according to label directions. Over-fertilization results blue green foliage curled at the ends. If the soil mix has adequate drainage, flushing may wash out excess fertilizer.