The Q&A Archives: How Do I Plant Ginger Root?

Question: What do I need to know to pland ginger root that has sprouted a green shoot? Do I bury it? Any special kind of soil? Sunlight? please advise

Answer: True ginger, Zingiber officinale, is a plant that grows
from a rhizome, which is the part used in cooking. You can start ginger plants from ginger rhizomes you purchase in the store
by cutting them into 1 or 2 inch pieces, letting the cut areas dry and
callous over for a few days, and planting them sideways in soil. Since yours has already sprouted, set the ginger root horizontally on the soil and press it lightly into the surface. The soil should be rich and should be kept slightly moist. Provide bright indirect light, warm temperatures and ample humidity for best results. (If temperatures are too cool the rhizome will rot.) The resulting plant
will grow 2-4 foot long stems with bright green leaves and
may even flower in the summer. You can harvest the roots at any
time to use in cooking, although in cold winter climates early summer seems a better time. Good luck with your volunteer!