The Q&A Archives: Texas Bluebonnets - In California

Question: Can I plant Texas Bluebonnets in Rialto, California? We are close to San Bernardino. If I can what is the best time of the year and what is the best procedure for good results? Thank you very much.

Answer: Commonly called Bluebonnets or Texas Bluebonnets, Lupines are hardy perennials in your gardening region. The plants are stunning when massed in a border. You can sow the seeds indoors 6-8 weeks before your last frost and plant outdoors after last frost, or sow the seeds directly outdoors after your last frost. Lupines thrive in full sun to light shade, in moist but well-drained soil. They are easy to care for. Simply water regularly, remove spent blooms to encourage additional growth, and fertilize during the growing season with a low nitrogen, high phosphorous fertilizer. At the end of the summer cut the stems down to the base of the plant. The following spring new stems will appear.