The Q&A Archives: My Polemonium

Question: Last year I baught a Polemonium, monarda 'petite delight', and a perovskia. The Perovskia is doing great , blooming just this year, but the other two, the monarda and the polemonium, died, I did everything right, I made sure they got the right amount of sunlight, and that the soil was a little moist but not soaked, what happened?

Answer: Polemonium tends to go dormant in mid summer, so your plant may not be dead after all. It does however require an evenly moist soil, even possibly a woodsy type of soil high in humus. The monarda would need a rich soil that is evenly moist and a location in morning sun or partial shade for best results. Of the three, the perovskia is probably the most resiliant plant although it does best in a hot sunny location that is well drained. I suspect the conditions may have been either too hot or too sunny or too dry for the other two plants.