The Q&A Archives: Growing Herbs Indoors in Containers

Question: I have recently purchased the following herbs: Kentucky mint, double mint, sage, thyme, creeping rosemary, oregano, basil, cilantro and English lavender. Will I be able to successfully grow these indoor in a container garden? Jeanine Griffin Chicago, IL

Answer: It's always heartening to hear of people who want to garden even if they don't have a garden plot! All of your herbs should grow fine in containers so long as they get plenty of bright light, fresh air and are not too crowded in their containers. They can take some crowding so long as they don't have to compete too much for light, water and fertilizer. Use a rich, humusy potting soil that will hold water well. The basil and cilantro should be treated as annuals, and replaced with new plants orseeds after harvest. The rest as perennials, so just keep them trimmed to preserve their shape and size. Mints, especially will spread invasively, so you may want to put them in a separate container.