The Q&A Archives: Reblooming Iris

Question: Last fall I was in Lacaster Pa and saw a lovely dark purple iris blooming. The people said it reblooms. I want a couple of these bulbs. Do you know the name and where I can purchase them. How much will they cost? Do they come in various colors?

Answer: Iris normally bloom in early summer, with a few varieties repeating in late summer if conditions are favorable. These are becoming more popular as more reliable reblooming varieties are developed. Unfortunately, I can not identify the specific iris you saw. However, Burpee may offer some reblooming iris in their catalog each year, or you might look into some of the iris specialty houses such as Cooley's or Shreiners for a broader selection of specialty iris.