The Q&A Archives: Germinating Goldsturm Rudbeckia

Question: I have attempted to germinate goldsturm rudbeckia from my yard and seeds purchased from Park Seed but have little or no germination of the seeds. I have collected them in the Fall, in the dead of Winter, and have tried all temperatures, but no luck. Do you have any recommendations? Thank you.

Answer: These should germinate without undue difficulty, however in some cases a month or so of chilling can help, as can using a soil temperature of about 70 degrees or slightly warmer.

To chill, plant the seeds lightly in a small pot or pan of barely moist, soilless potting mix and enclose in plastic wrap, set the container in the refrigerator for about a month. Then place in a warm, bright location (but out of direct sunlight)and watch for germination. Leave the plastic wrap on to maintain humidity inside the pan, remove it once germination is occurring. This can occur over several weeks so be patient. To bring up the soil temperature you might also try using a germination grade heating mat.

Alternatively, simply allow the plants to self sow and transplant the resulting seedlings from the garden.

Good luck with your rudbeckia!