The Q&A Archives: How To Save Unused Seed?

Question: How can I save unused seeds from one year to the next? This past summer I put the little paper seed bags into zip-lock baggies, then on a shelf in a cool, unheated room. Today I took them out and even the little seed bags smelled musty. Would putting the packets in canning jars and then in the fridge work?

Answer: I wouldn't put seeds in plastic bags, as even the tiniest bit of moisture/condensation could cause problems. Store seeds in an airtight container in a cool, dry place or in the refrigerator. If you are saving seeds from plants, collect seeds on dry, sunny days to avoid any excess moisture. If needed, dry seeds completely on sheets of newspaper for a week or so. Dispose of stems and leaves. A screen or colander works well to remove chaff.