The Q&A Archives: Feeding Camellias

Question: I fed my camellia bushes in the summer. They are in bloom now (Dec.) Do they get fed now, too? When is the proper time to feed them year-round?
Thank you.

Answer: Because camellia's develop flower buds in the summertime, the timing of your summer application of fertilizer is just right. It isn't necessary to feed more than once each year. You can use a 5-10-10 fertilizer formulation or one of the special fertilizers on the market for acid-loving plants. If you prefer to use organic fertilizers, spread 1-2 inches of compost or peat moss over the root area. As it breaks down it will supply needed nutrients to the roots of your camellia. (Organic mulch material will help retain soil moisture and reduce weeds, as well.)