The Q&A Archives: Growing Monarda Lambada' in CA

Question: Last year I grew Monarda Lambada' from seed that I purchased from you. It grew well and flowered nicely. This year the plants are very strange: they've produced many short (1") stems with tiny flowers and hundreds of brown spirals that seem to accompany some sort of fluff, perhaps seeds. I have other kinds of Mondarda, and I've never seen this before. Should I pull the Monarda Lambada' out of my garden, or will it eventually produce normal flowers? Thanks. Barry Schrader Palmdale, CA

Answer: Sorry to hear that 'Lambada' didn't want to dance this year! L.A. is at the extreme southern end of Monarda's growing range, and this variety may be either less heat tolerant or in need of more chilling than your environment provides. I suggest replacing it with something more suited to your Mediterranean climate.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"