The Q&A Archives: Cutting Back A Dipladenia

Question: I have a beautiful dipladenia plant and I brought it in for the winter. My question is should I trim it back for the winter and how far? The plant is still green but losing some of it's leaves and producing many new off shoots. Do I trim the new growth back, or should I just trim the plant to keep a nice round shape?

Answer: There are two varieties of Dipladenia. D sanderi rosea is grown for its yellow-throated pink flowers and D. Mandevilla splendens is larger-leaved with pink-throated flowers. The large flowers appear in the summer, on twining stems. Both can be grown as a climber, reaching 10' or more, or can be pruned back once flowering is finished, in order to maintain it as a bush. The glossy leaves remain all year long under the right circumstances.

Provide average household warmth (minimum 55F in winter), and bright light, but no direct sun. Water regularly from spring through autumn, then reduce watering and water only sparingly during the winter months. Mist the plant regularly during the growing season, especially when in bud or flower, and mist occasionally during the winter. Repot in the spring, using fresh potting soil.

Hope this answers your question and helps keep your plant healthy all year around!