The Q&A Archives: Hibiscus With Freeze Damage

Question: We have several hibiscus plants and a ficus tree planted in the yard. We recently had a week of freezing temps at night and all the plants look like they have died. Is there hope for them to come back in the spring, or should I plan on replacing them?

Answer: Liz,

That is a tough call but I suspect you better wait to see for sure. Sometimes on such tropical plants as those if the freeze was light and brief the leaves and outer branches are killed but the plant will later resprout from the trunk or main branches. Maybe even the base of the trunk at the ground line will resprout, so I would wait until the weather warms up next spring to decide for sure. At that time you can scratch back the outer bark with a thumbnail to see if it is living (creamy to green colored) or dead (pecan brown to black).

Thanks for the question. Please feel free to stop in again with another question any time we can help!