The Q&A Archives: No Flowers on Amaryllis

Question: Several people in my office ordered amaryllis bulbs to plant inside during the winter. Most of the bulbs have already flowered; however, two of them have grown 3 or 4 long narrow leaves, but show no signs of growing any stalks or flowers. Do you have any ideas why these two aren't flowering, and what we can do to encourage them?

Answer: The bulbs may be responding to differences in temperature, water, or lighting, or they may vary in quality. Newly purchased amaryllis bulbs of adequate size should bloom reliably within about six weeks from planting; however, if the bulbs were small they many need to grow another year to reach flowering size. (Premium quality bulbs may send up as many as three blooming stems over a period of some weeks.) All I can suggest is to provide the plants with bright light, keep the soil evenly moist, and hope for the best.