The Q&A Archives: Japanese Beetles

Question: Do Japanese beetles like lilacs? Could you give me a list of plants that they don't like

Answer: Japanese beetles like most everything, so there's no particular list to share with you. They are a difficult pest to control. Your best bet is a two-prong approach: one to deal with the larvae, one to deal with the adults.

Japanese beetle grubs are best controlled by spraying beneficial nematodes on the lawn and
garden area. These microscopic worm-like creatures attack only the grubs in the soil and not plants,
animals or humans. Spray them in spring when the temperatures are above 55F and you should see a
difference this summer. You can buy the beneficial nematodes from, Gardeners Supply co, 128
Intervale Rd. Burlington, VT 05401 800-863-1700

For adult beetles, I'd try a new product called whole neem oil. This is different than the Bioneem in that it is a stronger concentration of this organic spray. It's available from Greenlight Co., Box 17985, San Antonio, TX 78217, 210-494-3481.