The Q&A Archives: Squash Vine Borers

Question: I have had a problem with bugs that bore into the stems of any type of squash or pickle plants I have planted. I replanted zucchini 3 times last year and didn't get one squash. How can I eliminate these bugs in my garden?
I appreciate any help you can give me.

Answer: . I have fought squash bugs in my gardens and here is what works for me. First, squash the bugs and their eggs. I tried going out every three days or so and squashing the bugs I found along with any of their eggs. Their amber-colored eggs are laid in clusters underneath the leaves, usually in the protected area between two leaf veins. If you are squeemish about squashing them, carry a can of kerosene or alchohol and drop them into that.

If you will set a board under the plants near the stem, you will find they like to congregate beneath it during the day. This makes them "sitting ducks"! A piece of aluminum foil laid around the stem like a mulch will also harbor them.

Second, I spray occasionally with a pyrethrin/rotenone product. This is an organic option with good "knock down power" on the bugs.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "Dianthus 'Nyewood Cream'"