The Q&A Archives: Song Of India

Question: I recieved a Song of India Pleomele plant from a friend. She gave it to me to revive it as it is slowly dying as she doesnt have optimal setting for it. I need to know what the optimal setting for it is and how much i need to water it etc. Any information would be helpful. Thank you.

Answer: Dracaena reflexa prefers warm temperatures (75 degrees preferred) and indirect or filtered (medium) light. The soil should be kept lightly moist during the growing season, during the winter it should be kept slightly drier. Water with tepid rather than cold water. This plant may drop leaves in protest when it is moved from one location to another, or due to mealybug or scale infestation. It also prefers a more humid environment, so setting it on a pebble tray filled with water might also be helpful, especially during the winter heating season. Good luck with your new plant!