The Q&A Archives: Care for Amaryllis

Question: After my amaryllis blooms around Christmas time, what do I do for the rest of the year so that it will bloom again next Christmas?

Answer: While plant is actively growing before and during the flowering period, feed every two weeks with a light solution of a liquid fertilizer. When flowers fade, cut off the stem, keep up the watering, and continue to feed (once a month). When leaves begin to yellow (and they will, no matter what you do), withhold water -- about by half at first and then completely as the foliage rapidly turns yellows. Keep the pot completely (bone) dry until late fall or early winter. Then, repot them in fresh soil, soak well, and wait until growth starts again to start your maintenance cycle all over one more time.