The Q&A Archives: White Mold On Soil

Question: How do I get rid of the white chunky mould growing in the soil of all my house plants? I've tried watering less and transplanting. Any suggestions?

Answer: Are you sure it's mold and not a salt build up? My houseplants sometimes develop a white deposit on the top of the soil and I know it's time to leach excess salts and minerals out of the soil. I do this by flooding the soil with water, allowing it to flow freely from the drainage holes, waiting 30 minutes, flooding again, waiting another 30 minutes and flooding a third time. Why not try this and see if it doesn't cure the problem? If, on the other hand, you know it's a fungus and not a salt build up, you can try "fluffing" the top half inch of soil up so excess water can evaporate more easily. Hope these suggestions help clear up the problem