The Q&A Archives: Rooting A Rose Of Sharon

Question: I have a large Rose of Sharon tree in my yard and I was wondering if I could cut off a branch and root it (not sure how)and re-plant it to have another tree. Is this possible and if so, what are the steps? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Answer: Tip cuttings taken in June and July are usually relatively easy to root. Take a branch tip about six inches long and remove the leaves from the bottom two thirds. Apply a rooting hormone, available in small packets at garden centers, if desired. Insert the now bare end of the stem into barely damp soilless mix, cover the cutting with an upended clear plastic bag, and set in a bright location out of direct sun. Occasionally open the bag to allow fresh air to enter and check that the soil is still moist. Once roots form you can plant it in a nursery bed in a sheltered location in the garden. Good luck with your cuttings!