The Q&A Archives: Can I Grow An Avocado Tree In New Jersey?

Question: My indoor avocado is 2.5 feet tall with first grade pencil thickness trunk and a group of leaves at the top of the plant and another plant or another trunk from base 1 foot in height with tiny light green leaves budding at the top. At the present time the plant is potted in a plastic 1.5 foot planter pot filled with half potting soil and half top soil blended with stater soil. What can I do to make the plant more fuller and have many years of successful growing.

The smaller shoot coming from the base should be removed in order to direct more energy to the main trunk. The tips of the branches should be pinched back periodically to encourage more branching, resulting in a denser tree. Keep the plant in bright light, fertilize at a low rate during summer with a water soluble fertilizer for foliage houseplants. 

Re-pot into a larger pot as needed to accommodate the roots. Keep in mind that this is actually quite a large tree and could eventually probably outgrow the typical home. It also takes them ten to fifteen years to bear avocados even when grown outside in an optimum warm tropical environment.