The Q&A Archives: Caring for Container Strawberry

Question: I have a strawberry plant. It is in a strawberry planter with holes on the undersides also. How do I care for this plant? Thank you. Connie Williamson Laramie, WY

Answer: A fruiting strawberry plant in a pot is a fun and delicious project! As the plant grows, it will send out "daughter" plants on runners, and you can root these in the holes on the sides of the planters. Keep the soil moist, but not saturated, and feed the plants with a mild plant food (such a seaweed or fish-based liquid fertilizer) in the spring and during fruiting period. Place the pot in full sun, and protect the plants from frost. As the young plants are getting established, picking off their first round of buds can help them put energy into rooting. After a couple of years, the "mother" plant should be replaced by one of the "daughters" becuase they tire out after a while and cease to be productive. Hope this helps!