The Q&A Archives: Seeds For Shade

Question: i have 2 "islands" of 20-30 foot pine trees in my back lawn. I would like to direct sow flower seeds in the beds that encirles them. Different areas recieve different degrees of shade and sun. I would like to use something "foolproof" the way zinnias or cosmos are, but for shade. Any suggestions?

Answer: I understand what you are saying, but I don't find that starting seeds in the shade is quite as "foolproof" as zinnias and cosmos. However, here are some possibilities for shade. Impatiens, coleus, and viola are usually quite easy to grow. I hope this info helps!

Flowers for shade: Perennials -- Anemone, Columbine, Astilbe, Campanula, lily of-the-valley, Dicentra, Digitalis, Ferns, Hosta, daylilies, Liriope, Monarda, Pachysandra, Thalictrum, Vinca, navelwort (Omphalodes cappadocica), blue lungwort
(Pulmonaria angustifolia), pinkroot (Spigelia marilandica), bellwort (Uvularia grandiflora) and sweet violets (Viola odorata).

Annuals -- Begonia, Browallia, Coleus, annual Foxglove, Forget-me-not, Impatiens, Primrose, Torenia, Viola.