The Q&A Archives: Hacked Off Mandevilla Vine

Question: My 9 mo old labrador puppy ate the base of two gorgeous Mandevilla vines (Montrovia) which were about 15 feet tall. There is approximately six + inches of the plant left about the soil. I am watering the plant as per normal. Will the plant "put out" again? Will it releaf and grow and if so, when? Would you please advise as to what I should do. I am crushed since both plants were spectacular last summer nnd had been brought inside for wintering over. Thank you.

Answer: I'm so sorry! The vines should regrow just fine and will grow quickly due to the large established root systems. You may need to water somewhat less than you were accustomed to, however, to compensate for the much reduced top growth. Gradually you will work back up to the larger amount as the plants regrow. Please forgive the puppy -- and try to make sure the puppy does not have access to any toxic plants since plants are apparently now on the "toy" list.