The Q&A Archives: Organic Control of Gnats

Question: I recently purchased some herbs that I plan on growing indoors as well as an English ivy. My problem is that with these plants I seemed to have inherited their gnats. They are driving me crazy. Is there any way I can get rid of them without using harsh chemicals? I have a young child that I do not want to expose to any uneccessary chemicals, therefore I am searching for an organic solution to my probelm. Jeanine Griffin Chicago, IL

Answer: Fungus gnats can be controlled using a soil drench containing a strain of the insect-killing bacteria, Bacillus thuringiensis. Knock-Out Gnats is one such product available from Gardens Alive in Lawrenceburg, Indiana, (812) 537-8650. Also, try pouring a 1-2 inch layer of sand on top of the potting soil to kill the eggs.