The Q&A Archives: Rabbit Ate Clematis Down To Soil

Question: We had a record snow fall here in the Il. area in December. I have finally been able to get out around the house, and much to my chagrin, found out that my Clematis on the South side of the house has been eaten down to the ground. I just planted it last Spring. My question is, will it survive, or should I be looking for something else to climb up my trellis this year?

Answer: Your clematis should regrow just fine from the roots and buds on the remaining stubs. The only potential problem I can think of is the plant was grafted and the rabbit ate it off below the graft. You may also find, depending on the type of clematis you have, that it does not bloom until the following year when it has developed "old wood" again. You might want to protect the vine from now on so the rabbit does not eat any more.