The Q&A Archives: Blueberry bushes not producing

Question: I have had my blueberry bushes in the ground for three years. I have no berries as of yet, but the leaves are nice and green. How long does it take for them to produce berries? They are hybrids planted near each other. I use an acid mixture on them.

Answer: Good blueberry plants will often produce berries in their first year of planting (this is not desirable, however; first year blooms should be stripped off). Common causes of non-berry production: 1) Insufficient fertilizing. 2) Inappropriate varieties for your location (you didn't say where you live). 3) Planting without a pollinator (you need at least two varieties that bloom at the same time). 4) Inadequate pruning (branch tips with too many flowers should be removed to the point where blooms are widely spaced).