The Q&A Archives: My Gourds Have A Great Volume Of Vines But Very Few Blossoms Or Gourds. What Is Wrong?

Question: I plant gourds (bird house type) and literally bushels of vines grow profusely but few blossoms and only one or two small useless gourds

Answer: Gourds do produce massive vines, but the birdhouse gourds usually produce dozens of gourds. When do you plant them? Gourds thrive in the heat of summer. Also, since yours aren't producing flowers, they may be lacking in phosphorous, which promotes blooming. Try amending your soil with a phosphorous fertilizer such as bone meal before planting. You may want to scratch some into the soil after the plant is up, as well. Keep soil consistently moist as the vines use alot of water. I hope this info helps.