The Q&A Archives: Alaska Zones

Question: I live in southeast Alaska. What zone I live in?

Answer: You're in USDA Zone 6, with minimum temperatures of -10 to?F
(-23 to -18?C)
Zone 6's southern latitude bestows a long growing season and milder climate than Zone 5. It begins along the coasts of Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, and northern New Jersey, then extends southwest through the country's midsection to northern Texas. In the West, Zone 6 includes parts of Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington, then extends narrowly north along the coast of Alaska. Eastern gardeners contend with humidity, while in the West dry heat and a lack of rainfall are the gardening challenges. Good performers throughout Zone 6 include Acer palmatum (Japanese maple), Buxus sempervirens (Common box), Euonymus fortunei (Wintercreeper), Hedera helix (English ivy), Ilex opaca (American holly), and Ligustrum ovalifolium (California privet).