The Q&A Archives: Toads

Question: In your response to my question about slugs, you suggested toads inthe garden. How does one go about getting toads in the garden? Do I buy them?

Answer: I am not aware of a commercial source for purchasing toads. Toads tend to appear in a garden all on their own if conditions are right. Toads seem to enjoy areas where there are fallen leaves and damp mulch in which they may shelter, soft soil into which they may burrow, and possibly overturned clay flower pots or little stone hidey holes in a cool, shady area. They also need a source of water. Toads are territorial and long lived, so a toad will stay in your garden for an extended period of time. In a way, I suppose you could say toads like conditions quite similar to those enjoyed by slugs. Excessive chemical use can discourage them, however, as they are very sensitive to them.