The Q&A Archives: Bulbs In Hawaii

Question: I am wondering how to grow bulbs in Hawaii. I have heard that it is mandatory that they freeze, so the only way to have that occur here is to literally put them in the freezer. How should I do this: wrapped in something; for how long; are there any other suggestions?

Thank you very much!

Victoria Logan

Answer: Most bulbs have a pre-chill requirement before they can develop roots, foliage and flowers. Freezing isn't necessary, but cold-storage is. This is best accomplished by keeping them in a paper bag in the refrigerator for the specified number of weeks, which varies by bulb type. For instance, gardeners in California store their tulips in a refrigerator for 6-12 weeks prior to planting. If you decide to pre-chill bulbs, let us know which ones and we'll provide pre-chilling requirements.