The Q&A Archives: Proper Spacing for Some Window Box Favorites

Question: I've always considered myself a black thumb. My cats eat anything I bring indoors, and the deer will eat anything planted in the ground outdoors. I decided to hang some flowering plants out on my back porch and I started two flower boxes. I think Ibought too many "packs" because I realized upon bringing them home that they are supposed to be ten inches apart. My porch gets only about 1 1/2 hour of direct sun and the rest of the time is in shade. I bought Begonias, Petunias, Impatiens, Coleus,and bright Orange bottlebrush things. I had to plant them only inches apart in two flower boxes, and planted some in individual pots....does it sound like they're going to be alright like that? June Murphy Kingston, NY

Answer: Don't be can correct the situation! The impatiens and begonias will like your shady spot but give them some room! Plant them about 8-10 inches apart. Those small plants you brought home will grow into big plants and will need the room. If you plant them too close together, their roots will have to compete for moisture and space and nobody will do very well! The other plants need more sun. They will do okay on your porch but will not give you their best. Get some big pots and plant them in those instead of the window boxes.