The Q&A Archives: How To Replant An Amarylis Bulb?

Question: I want to replant an Amarylis bulb into a different container. Is it best to pull up the bulb and let it dry out, like some of the bulbs I replant. Or is it okay to take it out of the soil it's in and put right into new pot. The leaves have all died away and it is sitting dormant right now. What is the best soil or fertilizer to put with it when replanting?

Answer: Once the foliage dies back on the bulb it can be repotted. Use fresh potting soil, just as it comes from the bag, without adding moisture. Repot, leaving half of the bulb exposed, then store in a cool, dry place. When a new flowering stalk emerges, begin watering regularly and move the plant into a brightly lit area. When foliage appears, you can feed with a diluted liquid fertilizer.