The Q&A Archives: Wilt On Impatiens

Question: I have been growing Imps from seed for over 35 years with great success. In the past three years or so some of my imps wilt and die in mid summer after growing successfully prior to that. Sometimes one plant in a container dies - sometimes multiple plants. Other containers which are identical experience no problems. Sometimes plants in the ground are also affected but to a lesor degree.

Answer: Based on your decription, unfortunately I would suspect a possible soil-based infection of some sort, possibly exacerbated by a decreased level of organic matter in the soil. You might want to consult with your local county extension for a more specific diagnosis and suggested controls, if any. I'm really sorry about your plants.