The Q&A Archives: Identifying Sweet Pea Seed Pods

Question: A few years ago a neighbor gave me a shovelful of her perennial sweet peas. They have been great and bloomed every year. I noticed when she gave them to me that there seemed to be some sort of white balls in the soil.Is it possible that this was another flower? She is in her 90's and is still active every day! Several people have asked for seeds. If they are started from seed will they be perennial too? Eileen Sayler Butte, MT

Answer: It's possible that the white balls you observed in the soil were seeds. Keep a close eye on the flowers this year. After they fall watch for seed pods. They should look very much like pea pods. Collect them just as they are about to open up. The pods will be dry and brown. The resulting plants will be perennial just like the parents were!