The Q&A Archives: Dwarf Mondo Ground Cover

Question: I am looking for seed for ground covers, very low in height. Do you know who sells seed for
dwarf mondo? Can you recommend ground cover that grows low and does not
require any cutting (maybe once a year) and some watering (I have a well and
can water it as much as it needs as long as the cover does not grow tall-6" is
good enough).

Answer: Dwarf mondo sounds perfect for your needs. The plants are propagated through division, however, so once you have a plant, you can separate it into several smaller plants. Seeds are not available, as far as I know.

Thyme makes an excellent groundcover (Thymus praecox arcticus), as do Laurentia (Blue Star Creeper), Nepeta (catnip), and Lysimachia. All of the above produce flowers in the summertime and all remain low to the ground.

Whatever you plant will need regular watering until it becomes established. Once the roots are established they should require only occasional watering during the hottest months of the year.