The Q&A Archives: Shade Tree For A Lawn Area

Question: I currently have a fruitless mulberry as a shade tree on my lawn but have noticed
that the roots are starting to migrate to the surface. I would appreciate a
recommendation on what type of shade tree would be proper for a lawn area that
has southern exposure? The size of the lawn area is approx 1000 sq. ft.

I want a tree or perhaps two trees that would fill in a large area and drop all of its leaves during the

Thank you.

Answer: Morus (mulberry) has a reputation for developing above-surface roots. They are wonderful shade trees, though, and provide a dense umbrella of welcome shade during hot summer months.

Just a word of caution: Any tree planted in a lawn that's regularly watered and fertilized will tend to produce a lot of surface roots. As trees mature these roots can rise several inches above ground level, tripping people and causing hazards for lawnmowers.

A few of the more well-behaved deciduous trees that you might consider include Acer griseum (paperbark maple), Cercis (redbud), Chilopsis linearis (desert willow) and Stewartia.