The Q&A Archives: Planning Cut Flower Garden

Question: Can you recommend some annuals I can plant so I can have fresh cut flowers spring through fall?

Answer: There are numerous possibilities, and much depends on your own preferences. Some easy-to-grow annuals from seed for cut flowers include sunflowers, tithonia, zinnia, coreposis, cosmos, gaillardia, bachelor buttons, larkspur, snapdragons, asters, as well as pansies and Johnny-jump-ups for tiny bouquets. You might want to consider a wildflower mix, many of which provide a natural, "airy" feel to bouquets. Keep deadheading, or trimming off, spent blossoms to encourage the plant to continue producing flowers, rather than expending its energy on seed production.

Consider planting some bulbs for spring bouquets, and remember that you can force some fruit trees branches to flower indoors in early spring. Many flowers also have attractive seedheads, which can be harvested throughout the fall and even into winter.