The Q&A Archives: Replanting Bromeliad

Question: I have an indoor bromeliad which has new sprouts coming up from the soil, can you tell me when and how I should replant these. Thanks

Answer: In most cases the pups or little plants can be replanted almost any time, simply tug them or cut them away and set them at the same depth in a well drained potting mix. You may need to prop it up lightly until it anchors itself. However, doing this may disturb the mother plant. Many gardeners will wait until the pups are very large and the mother plant blooms. The reason for this is that the mother plant will naturally fade away and die at that time and it is easy to get at the new plants to separate them. This timing also mimics nature and results in the new plants reaching blooming size faster.