The Q&A Archives: Rabbit Deterrent Perennials

Question: I live in Las Vegas, NV, and am interested in perennials. I am also interested in flowers that rabbits are not attracted to, but that will not hurt them. I thank you in advance for any help. Melissa Reingruber Las Vegas, NV

Answer: Rabbits will nibble most any tender seedling, and if you want to keep them away from your flowers, your best bet is to fence your garden or try some of the home repellants. A fence of 1-inch chicken wire should be 2 feet high and buried at least 6 inches deep. Interplanting your flowers with garlic, onions, Mexican marigold or dusty miller deters bunnies. You can try to scare rabbits from your garden by burying empty pop bottles with the tops poking up a few inches above the ground. The eerie whistle that results when the wind blows can scare them away. Sprinkling blood meal, ground hot peppers or human or dog hair around plants is also sometimes effective.