The Q&A Archives: Gardenia Buds Will Not Bloom

Question: I have a potted gardenia plant in my front yard, facing the north and the flower buds have been on the plant for 4 months but have never opened. Should I cut the plant back,
put it in more direct sun during these winter months or what?

Answer: The normal bloom time for gardenia's is May-October, although some will bloom when winter weather is warm. I suspect your plant likes it where it is and mild winter weather has encouraged bud formation, but there hasn't been quite enough warmth for the buds to completely open. Exercise some patience and the buds will open when they're ready. Just for general information, gardenia's bloom best with summer heat. But while they like heat, they need some shade from hot summer sunshine. Continue to give your plant TLC with regular waterings and feedings. As the weather warms in the spring, mist the leaves each morning to keep it healthy and happy.